Here’s five facts:
- The new parking adds up to a total of 490,000 bicycle parking spaces at Dutch railway stations;
- Every day, 125,000 cyclists go through Utrecht city centre to work, school and the train station;
- Utrecht was the first city in which a space indication system (on the street and six bicycle parking facilities) directs cyclists to free spaces;
- A total of 161 digital signs are in use in the new parking facility;
- Wherever possible, daylight comes in. This means that the building requires little artificial lighting. Clever visual axes allow cyclists to see each other.
(image: Petra Appelhof)