Wayfinding Designers (New York City)
Who are we?
Mijksenaar is a design and consultancy firm specializing in wayfinding, with offices in New York City and Amsterdam. Our primary goal is to connect people and places in a meaningful way. Mijksenaar offers our clients integrated, innovative and user-friendly solutions. Our philosophy is research based and our solutions are geared towards the users of the system. We believe that great aestectics and functionality are most important to good design. We work together with different types of clients, such as municipalities, airports, transportation hubs, hospitals, cultural institutions and shopping centers. Our solutions are used daily by millions of people in over 20 countries and five continents. A brief selection of our clients: Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Dutch Railways, Hermitage St Petersburg, Meander MC, Cycle Highways, Bicycle Parking schemes for Amsterdam, Amersfoort and Utrecht, and Denver International Airport.
What will you be doing?
At Mijksenaar, you will develop into a wayfinding expert, through collaboration in different teams and for various clients, and by following our internal training: ‘The Mijksenaar Academy’. From the start you’ll work on various projects by carrying out analyses and design solution strategies. You’ll use the most effective means, such as interventions in design or architecture, digital tools (narrowcasting or apps), and signposting. You will be challenged in developing your specialization and familiarizing yourself with new tools and methods. Together with the design teams, you’ll create integrated solutions for every client, all the while putting the end user first.
What will be your tasks?
- Develop integral wayfinding solutions;
- Translate vision and strategy into design proposals;
- Support (senior) designers and project managers;
- Contact clients and suppliers;
- Write reports;
- Give convincing presentations;
- Prepare and execute interactive sessions with clients and stakeholders.
What’s your profile?
- Undergraduate or masters degree in industrial design, communication/graphic design, experience design, architecture, digital media or comparable field;
- 3–5 years experience in a wayfinding office, a related design field or education;
- Digital skills and programming are a plus;
- A thorough knowledge of and experience with Adobe Creative Suite;
- You are creative and analytical, passionate and strive for the best result;
- You are proactive and curious, you like to push boundaries;
- You meet your deadlines and do not have a ‘9 to 5’ mentality;
- Native Dutch is a plus, but not a requirement.
What are your conditions of employment?
Your salary will be commensurate with your education and work experience. We offer a varied and challenging role in an inspiring and informal atmosphere.
Interested? Send a cover letter, your CV and portfolio to: email@example.com, attention: Cesar Sanchez.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.